Monday, August 11, 2008

A Lesson With Hank Haney

I recently had my very first lesson with legendary golf coach Hank Haney. In my role as Director of Communications at Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy, I had organized a media day at Palmetto Bluff, a 20,000-acre tract along the May River near the town of Bluffton.

For the avid golfer, a trip to Palmetto Bluff is a journey to heaven. The May River Golf Club is an 18-hole, Jack Nicklaus signature course, weaving throughout the May River Forest and featuring several holes right on the banks of the river.

At 7,171 yards, this amazing course is a spectacular blend of championship-level design and natural beauty that will challenge golfers of all skill levels.

I was playing the eighth hole at Palmetto Bluff. It’s a par 5 and my second shot landed in a fairway bunker. My goal was to simply get back to the fairway with my third shot, land it on the green in four, one-putt and walk away with a par.

Guess I wasn’t focused. I took a seven iron and took my swing but didn’t have the necessary loft to clear the top of the bunker. I was still in sand.

At that very moment, I heard someone yell out, “What club were you using?” Before I even turned around, I recognized the voice and it was Hank Haney. Hank was spending most of his time with the media folks on the course and he was the last person I expected to see since I was playing with staff members.

I was so embarrassed. I told him I used a seven iron. And he said, “you expected to clear that bunker?’

At that point, I was still 210 yards away from the green. Hank was still there. I did not want to be embarrassed again.

I grabbed a rescue club, opened the clubface, and hit the ball as hard as I could. It landed in front of the green and trickled onto the putting surface. And Hank said, “Now, that was a better shot.”

Hank suggested a few lessons down the road. I reminded him that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. To which Hank responded, “It depends on the teacher.” He was so right.

So for me, the lesson was a lesson in life. Don’t ever think you cannot improve, especially if you have the right teacher. Learning lasts a lifetime.

Richard Bisi
Director of Communications
Hank Haney IJGA

No comments: